Tuesday, March 29, 2011

How To: My Adventures With Lace


A while ago, I purchased some vintage lace with the idea of making a few pennant style necklaces. When I got the lace, I realized that it wasn't going to work because the lace was so wonderfully soft and wouldn't hang right. What to do? What to do? I convo'd around on Etsy and started a thread in the forums asking questions about lace. Between the information I received from some lovely folks (thank you!) and my days of experimenting, I came up with results that were perfect.


Here's how I did it: I used Aleene's Fabric Stiffener & Draping Liquid. I diluted it by 50% with water in a small bowl. I put the lace in. Squished it around, with rubber gloves on. Squeezed out the excess. Set it on plastic wrap and formed it into the shape I wanted, blotting with paper towels, making sure that no holes still had liquid in it. I used a tooth pick to shape the tiny areas. When it was dry, I rinsed it in hot water. It felt a bit rough for my liking. (The directions didn't say to do this.) Blotted it with paper towels and set on plastic to dry. When it was dry, it was stiff, but not scratchy rough to the touch.

I have the necklaces for sale in my shop. One is natural creamy white. The other is tea dyed.

For directions on dyeing with black tea, go here.

Until next time.....