Monday, April 9, 2012

Busy Birds





I love this time of year, when the birds come back and start building nests and raising their young. I think they're pretty used to me and my camera by now.

1. I have no idea what kind of bird built this nest. I just discovered it this morning. See the entrance at the left? I'll be watching to see who comes and goes. This is a first for us.
2. Mr Bluebird taking a break in the shade, near one of the bird baths. Him and Mrs B are in the process of building a nest. We have another couple that built a nest on the far end of the garden. I tried to take some photos, but they didn't come out good. It's one of our older bluebird boxes. Our new ones have a view window we can look through.
3. Mockingbird eggs. They built this nest in a red honeysuckle bush, about three feet off the ground. Not smart at all. It's dark in there. I had to lighten the photo up quite a bit just so I could see the eggs. I didn't want to stick around too long, so I snapped a few quick shots and split before the birds came back. Mockingbirds don't like anyone messing around their nests!