Saturday, July 19, 2008

Staking Tomatoes

In my 25+ years as a gardener, I believe that I’ve tried every possible way to stake my tomatoes. Wooden stakes eventually break and/or rot, so that’s like throwing money away. My plants get too big for tomato cages and fall over. Bamboo tripods work great and look beautiful, but if you grow as many tomato plants as I do, that can get pretty pricey.
Several years ago I staked my tomatoes with metal fence posts. They are perfect and range in size from four feet (one meter) up. They don’t fall over, not even in August when the plants are heavy with fruit. Plus, they’ll last a lifetime.
Whatever you decide to use, staking tomatoes increases the yield and cuts down on waste. And your local turtles can still reach the lower tomatoes on the plants.
Until next time.....

3 comments:

CurlyfrySC's Collage said...

Not a tomato fan but the turtles are cute!

Robin Marie said...

I know this comment is waaaaaay late, but I thought I'd pass along what we do with our tomatoes on the farm where I work. Along each row we place stakes like you have spaced about 6 feet apart. Then we run a plastic twine all along the length of the row, strung very tightly. We do this several times raising the hight about 10" every time until we've reached the top, and then weave the plants up through the twine and secure it if necessary! It saves a lot of stake pounding!

Lovely garden, and I love turtles!

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin