Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Spider Webs

I love looking at spider webs! There are as many varieties of webs as there are spiders. August seems to be spider web month in Tennessee. Maybe it's due to the foggy mornings that we have this time of year. The webs stand out and glisten in the fog.
We were up at Crystal Lake and saw the most amazing spider webs. I don't know what kind of spiders built them, but take a look.
The first one was in a pine tree. All the pines and cedars had them floating on their branches. With the sun coming up over the mountain and the mist rising from the lake, it was a magical sight indeed.

The second one was built in an abandoned bluebird house. This web was pretty creepy, yet cool, looking. And I saw the spider. He was huge!


One of my favorite beads are glass spider web lace beads. They were made in Japan in the 40's and 50's in the Cherry Brand neighborhoods. The artisans would trade the beads for food and goods. I've been collecting them for years. I have them for sale in both shops. You can buy the beads to design your own jewelry or you can buy finished pieces in my jewelry shop. Come check them out and own a piece of history.
Until next time.....