Tuesday, May 12, 2009

DIY ~ Grow Your Own Herbs


Herbs are so easy to grow and like everything else from the garden, tastes so much better than store bought. You don't need a lot of space to grow herbs. Many of them do just fine in pots.
I grow many of our cooking and tea herbs and put them in our freezer; either fresh or dried.



For fresh herbs, I chop them and pack them into freezer containers. For dried ones, I hang them indoors in bunches until dried, then strip them off the stalks and pack them in freezer containers. I take out as much as I need when I'm cooking. Remember to label the containers with the contents.
The photos are chamomile from our garden. It reseeds itself and pops up in the strangest of places. I dry them in bunches and pack them in containers to use in tea and herbal preparations.
Until next time.....


4 comments:

daisycakessoap said...

You are so talented!! Beautiful pictures and message--as always;)
xoxo
jm

mhegedus said...

Looks great! I'm growing tomatoes and peppers now, but now I want some herbs!

RhiannonSTR said...

I had a beautiful herb garden last year. We live right near the highway, but believe it or not a HUGE buck found it's way into my yard and the herbs he didn't eat, he trampled all over. He then couldn't figure out how to get out of the fence (6 foot) so he head butted it and knocked it over!

Denise said...

I love the look and smell of chamomile but it is very hard to grow here as a perennial. I think the Maine winters are too harsh. Lovely photos as usual!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin