Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Ravioli Experiment







Last Sunday, we decided to pull out our much neglected pasta machine and learn how to make ravioli. Equipped with a handful of recipes that I found online and a head full of ideas, we prepared the dough and fillings and began what turned out to be a 5 hour process.
We made three different sizes. Small. Medium. Large. Why not? After all, it is was the Ravioli Experiment. After each batch was finished, we sat down, ate them and judged them. Think Iron Chef.
Number 2, the medium size ravs won the taste test.
We took two of the large ones and dropped them in the fryer. I read about them online, the fryer was out from the night before and we thought "why not"? They were OK, but I won't be making them again. I felt like I was at a carnival, where it seems that they now fry everything under the sun.
We had some leftover pasta strips, so we formed them into bow ties, dried them out a bit and popped them in the freezer.
Turns out that ravioli is a lot easier to make than we thought. I can see more Ravioli Experiments in our future.