Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Water Chestnuts



John made a trip to one of his favorite markets this weekend. He came home with these. They're water chestnuts. I had never seen fresh ones before. They taste SO good. You know the difference between a homegrown tomato and a store bought one? Same thing here!
Water chestnuts are easy to peel and slice. They're super sweet and crunchy. We had a lot more than we needed, so I experimented with three of them.
I took one and peeled and sliced it. The second one was just peeled. The third was left whole and untouched.
Then I put them in the freezer. The next morning I got them out to thaw. I couldn't wait to see the results of my experiment.
The sliced chestnuts were too mushy when they thawed. The whole, unpeeled one had a brown rim around meat when I peeled it. The whole, peeled chestnut was the winner. It looked and tasted like it was fresh, never frozen.
So this afternoon, I froze the remainder of them on parchment paper. When they're frozen, I'll pop them into freezer containers and we'll be good to go next time we fire up the wok.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin