Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Dude's Back and He's Not Alone!

Last summer, when I was weeding the garden, something ran out from under a bush. Scared the carp out of me! Turned out it was only a turtle, but at that moment I had no idea what was about to come out from the brush. He was as surprised to see me as I was to see him. I ran inside and got my camera so I could take pictures of him. I named him the Dude. I had no idea if the Dude was even, in fact, a dude.
I looked for the dude every day after that, but never saw him again.

Until now! I was outside this morning, pulling up a soaker hose to move to a new spot. It was staked down with metal pins. I was pulling on the hose to loosen the pins as I made my way down the row, when suddenly a big clump of dirt or mulch(?) popped up and landed in front of me. It wasn't either of those things. It was a turtle! And no, I didn't hurt it. I immediately picked it up and checked out his markings. Looked like the Dude to me. The Dude had a chip on his shell just like this one. It's a possibility that it's not him, but I'd like to think that it is.
So, I put him down and started to go in the house to get the camera again , when I noticed a dark blob in the weeds right next to where the Dude was. It was another turtle, but this one was a lot bigger than the Dude.
Oh Crap! Was the Dude doing it when I pulled the hose up and flung him through the air? I really hope not!

I got the camera and took a few photos. Then I put the turtles back in the weeds and went back to what I was doing. About thirty minutes later, I checked on them. I only saw one turtle, but decided not to look around for the other. I already disturbed them once.
I don't know enough about turtles to know if the male is bigger than the female, but I do plan on googling it. I'd like to know if my Dude is actually a Dudette.
Well, I won't be tilling that area as planned. I'm hoping the Dude will be laying eggs somewhere in the garden.

I now know what's been eating our tomatoes. I thought that we were losing an awful lot this year to some critter, but ruled out the Dude because I didn't think he could eat that much. But two turtles could. I always plant more tomatoes than we can use and this is one of the reasons why. Seeing a turtle with a face full of tomato seeds and juice dripping down his chin is priceless. Until next time.....

5 comments:

Ben Can Dance said...

That's great! Can you maybe make them a special turtle habitat and keep them away from the tomatoes? :)


http://bencandance.blogspot.com/

Katie said...

I don't worry about it, now that I know it's the turtles eating them. We have enough to eat, put up, give away and feed the turtles. But, I wish they would eat a whole tomato and not just chunks out of the ripening ones. Soon, they won't be able to reach them because all the lower ones will be gone. Can you tell that I love turtles? :)

knitsteel said...

That's so cool. Do you live near water?

Katie said...

There's a river about a mile down the road. And there's a creek that only runs in the spring behind us.

Sweet Spice said...

that is soooo kewl!!!! what an awesome surprise, and I can't wait to hear if its a dude or dudette =o)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin