Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Saying Goodbye to a Generation


Today I said goodbye to a friend. And that is never a good thing. She lived across the road from me, with her sister, on a farm that they grew up on in the early 1900's.
I never got tired of listening to her stories that she repeatedly told me about her childhood. She painted such a wonderful picture of the past with her words.
I love old country folks. In the 30 years that I've lived in Tennessee, I've met and loved and lost a lot of them. But this one hurt so much more than the rest. She was the last of that generation.
Every time I look out my window, across the road to the farm and see a rainbow over your home place, I will think of you.

10 comments:

stilettoheights said...

that is a beautiful sentiment.

I am sorry for you loss today.

fernfiddlehead said...

I too am sorry for your loss. She sounds like a great person to have lived across the road from.

knitsteel said...

You've created a beautiful and meaningful tribute to her.

Steph said...

I'm so sorry, Katie.
It is a beautiful post and gorgeous photos.

Gabreial said...

What a wonderful memory of your friend. Thanks for sharing in your joy of her presence in your life.

"Netta's Creations" said...

This really touched me, I grew up in maryland but my mother and family is from carolina. I love down there and felt what you were saying and as I read your post i could comprehend it. Sorry for your loss, you have wonderful memories to think of her with. If I could live down there and make a living, I would - because I love the air diffrence, the serenity and of course the animals.

Jamie said...

Katie, I'm sorry your friend passed but am glad to know you took the time to listen to her stories. I'm sure it made all the difference in the world to her.

Tracyw. said...

It's hard to lose a friend like that! I'm so sorry! Your post was so thoughtful. a very nice tribute, indeed!

jnicdesigns said...

I'm so sorry =(. I think the rainbows are her way of saying thank you for being such a good friend.

msbelle said...

Oh, Katie, I'm so sorry. It's so sad when someone we love passes. I lost my uncle just recently and he was the last of my father's generation as well. They're all gone now. It's sad.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin