Friday, July 6, 2012

This Week








This week I complained a lot about the heat and the drought. Looking back, I think I probably complained too much. We spent the 4th of July at home and for the first time ever, didn't fire up the grill. We had a laid back holiday sipping Gin and tonics, eating BLT's and homemade peach ice cream. It was a nice change actually, especially since it was 100+ degrees outside.

1. I bought a new pair of much needed Converse. It's been years since I owned a pair of low tops.
2. Our sunflowers that are planted on the south side of the house are in full bloom. The bees and goldfinches love them. We do too. We get a bird's eye view of all the action right outside the window.

3. I laid the soaker hoses that I bought. And mulched the gardens. We're still watering with a sprinkler twice a week. The gardens are suffering, but hanging in there. You can see how dry it is by looking at the color of the grass in the yard.

4. The Rose of Sharon is blooming like crazy. She doesn't care that it's hot or that she's not getting watered. Maybe I should be more like her.

5. The chocolate morning glories are blooming. I love them. And I love the variegated leaves.

6. Our basil is big enough to start harvesting. Note to self: buy pine nuts.

Well, this coming week looks like we'll have some changes in the weather. Rain chances increase and temperatures decrease. Fingers and paws crossed.....