Monday, March 11, 2013

Killdeer-est



Last week, while walking out to the mailbox, I heard a familiar sound. The call of a killdeer. And sure enough, they were back. "Building" a nest in our driveway. If you ever saw a killdeer nest, you'd know what I mean when I say building. They move a few pieces of gravel around and scratch a hole in the ground. Voila! A nest is made.
Today while going to get the mail, I heard one of the birds freaking out. Sure enough, I walked over to the nest and saw these two eggs. Now all we have to do is sit back (and worry) to see if the eggs hatch.
They come back every year and build their nest in our driveway. We count down the days until the eggs hatch, hoping that they don't get eaten by a number of local prey.
Here are a few posts, with pictures from previous nests, if you care to take a peak. They are quite cute.
Click here. And here. And here.
Wish us luck.
Until next time.....