Monday, April 13, 2009

The Easter Turkey

Don't worry, the turkey in the photos was not part of Easter dinner! We were outside on Sunday, getting some yard work done, while dinner was in the oven. I came out the front door, looked up and was surprised to see a turkey in our front yard. She was the strangest looking turkey that I've ever seen. If you don't know what wild turkeys look like, they are primarily reddish brown and black with a splash of white. Look how light she is!
And she wasn't afraid of us. It was almost like she was raised by humans. I ran inside to grab my camera. Then I ran into the garage to get some sunflower seeds. She didn't like them. So I went inside and got a piece of bread. Bingo! She ate the bread out of our hands. She hung around for a while, then crossed the road and disappeared into the woods , with the rest of the turkeys. One of the many, many reasons that I love living in rural Tennessee.
Until next time.....

Monday morning update: I'm beginning to wonder if this is a domestic turkey. This morning she showed up with two Guinea hens. I'm going to have to post pictures on flickr. No one, and I mean no one, around here has chickens or turkeys. Hmmmmmmmmm~

9 comments:

Judy said...

They are funny creatures! I live in Tennessee too, just north of Nashville

jnicdesigns said...

Oh I want to come adopt her! I love turkeys =)
I bet she's a cross between a white domestic turkeys and the wild bronze ones.
She needs a name!

TheClayMuse said...

Toooo cool!
Definatly not your average wild turkey!

Katie said...

I just updated my post. She just showed up with 2 Guinea hens. I'm heading over to flickr to post pictures of her.

Gypsy Moon Designs said...

What a great shot you got with the bread in hand. You know it is Passover time of year, maybe the turkey is the coming of Elijah! (Just a joke!)

Katie said...

So, I should be giving her matzoh instead! :D

sassyglassdesigns said...

We live in a very rural area also and have wild turkeys but we have never seen one yet. My hubby is wanting some Guineas. As for my hummers...they fight like cats and dogs but every now and then, they will all feed for a few seconds and then the fighting begins again. I was standing on a ladder very close to them and just stood and waited...I have some really great shots of them. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Lisa B. said...

How odd...and cool! I can't believe she ate bread out of your hand. It will be interesting to see if she comes round everyday looking for a hand out:D

Sherry said...

I haven't seen a wild turkey since I was girl. I grew up in Pa, and we'd see them now and then. They really are pretty tame.

I"ll write you later today.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin