Friday, February 20, 2009

Cheese Biscuits

Have you ever added grated cheese to your biscuit dough? Or herbs? It's an easy way to dress up baking powder biscuits. We've been eating a lot of cheese biscuits lately. They're quick, easy and go great with winter soups and stews.
Preheat your oven to 425 and grease a cookie sheet.
2 cups all purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening or butter
1 egg
1/2-3/4 cup milk or buttermilk
Approximately 1/2 cup grated cheese.

Crack the egg into a one cup measuring cup. Add milk to the 3/4 cup line and mix well.
In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening or butter. Toss the cheese in.
Stir in the milk mixture.
On a lightly floured board, roll or pat the dough to 1/2 inch thickness and cut into shapes. I use a biscuit cutter, but have also used cookie cutters, the rim of a glass, or in the case of the ones in the photo, a pizza slicer was used to cut the dough into squares.
Place them on the cookie sheet and bake 10-12 minutes or until nicely browned.
Enjoy~
Until next time.....

5 comments:

TheClayMuse said...

great idea! I think I'll try this recipe soon!
Thanks!

sassyglassdesigns said...

When I was a kid, my mom worked in the evening so daddy was the cook and he added cheese to everything. Sometimes my brother would refuse to eat although he does love cheese now.
We are kind of cheesaholics! Thanks for the recipe...looks yummy!

Deb said...

Mmmmmm...I'll have to serve these to my family. Hubby 'thinks' he doesn't like biscuits, but I know he'll gobble them up with cheese in them. (He thinks he doesn't like Zucchini either, but he's ate a lot more of it snuck into soups, meatballs and meatloaf than he'll ever know!).
I notice you mention the Florida panhandle a lot - I used to be stationed in Pensacola (Milton, actually). I loved it! That was many moons ago. As I look out my window at the chilly, grey Ohio day, I want to pack my bags and go dig my toes into the sugar white sand!
Deb

little pink plum said...

Sounds easy to make and looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Gypsy Moon Designs said...

Now I want a bowl of chili to go with these yummy biscuits!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin