Thursday, February 28, 2013

Beet Juice



I love beets and grow them every year. For the most part, I slice and steam them until fork tender and freeze them in pint freezer containers without any liquid. I find that they keep quite well. When it comes time to eat them, I remove a container from the freezer, thaw and enjoy.
The other day I did just that. I noticed the beautiful juice at the bottom of the container. The first thing that came to mind was using it for a dye. I went to the studio and unearthed a handful of vintage carved bone rose beads and plopped them into the juice. I left it overnight. In the morning I poured off the juice and rinsed the beads. I laid them out to dry.
This is the results. I just love how they came out. Two toned dusty rose beads. Perfect for something. What yet, I don't know. But I do know that I will be dyeing more beads with beet juice in the future. Maybe some wooden ones.
When I turn these into jewelry, I'll post the piece or pieces here.
Until next time.....